Saturday 31 March 2012

Teneriffe

A volcanic island in the Atlantic Ocean. We stayed on the north side of the island which is greener and cooler and not particularly developed for tourism. Our Hotel (the Tagaida) stands above the old town, with a steep hill down to the port. Our room had a view of Teide to the left and the sea to the right.




In 1706 there was an eruption during which lava poured out and down the hill to a place called Garachico, which was an important port. The town was burnt and the harbour filled with lava.

We visited the village of Orotava. It was here that floral carpets at Corpus Christi started. We started at the top of the village, in Casa de los Balconas.

This is a typical Canarian house and full of local crafts. Out the back was this boat, full of shells.



2 comments:

Fennie said...

I have never visited Tenerife - but the plastics firm for whom I used to do a lot of consultancy had a factory there, so I thought at one time that I might make it. Sadly, no. Most of my time they sent me to Brussels and Dusseldorf! Love the boat full of shells!

Covnitkepr1 said...

Looks so peaceful and scerene...except for the valcano in the background.

Just checking back for any new posts you may have written.
I’ve been a follower on your blog for a while now and would like to invite you to visit and perhaps follow me back. Sorry I took so long for the invitation.